Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mike Huckabee's Position on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

BONUS ADDITION to Gays in the Military Series:

The Huckabee campaign is the third campaign to respond to the question “What is your position on the “Don't ask, don't tell” policy? Should gays be allowed to serve openly in the military?”
Here is his response:


Thank you for writing me to ask about my position on this policy. I discussed this briefly along with other candidates in the debate, and I am happy to explain my position to you. I believe this policy works, and I don't think now is the time to change it, because our military commanders tell us it serves it's purpose in preventing the disturbances that occur when it is not adhered to. No member of our armed forces is allowed to behave or display personal characteristics in a way that complicates or interferes with unit function and unity. If our commanders say that this policy improves overall force performance by minimizing disturbances at the unit level then we should not change it, especially not in the middle of a war.

Thank you again for your question and for your interest in my campaign. I hope you will visit my website, www.explorehuckabee.com, to learn more about where I stand on this and other important issues.

Sincerely,

Mike Huckabee

0 comments: